Thank you for your interest in becoming a part of the Volunteer Program at Animal Care Centers of NYC (ACC) .
Volunteers are an important part of our organization’s mission to promote the health, safety and welfare of pets and people in New York City.
Our volunteers work closely with our staff in many areas of our operations; they assist in the care and placement of animals housed in our Care Centers, educate the public and provide support for administrative programs and fundraising efforts.
Because of this, we ask our Care Center volunteers to make a commitment to our program of 6 months with a minimum of 8 hours in each month. Please visit our Volunteer Opportunities page to find out more details about specific volunteer positions.
If you love animals and like working with people, consider volunteering in our program.
*Volunteers must be at least 18 years of age to participate in our Volunteer program.
*We are not accepting court-appointed or school-based community service at this time.
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
1) Volunteer Orientation Week
Approximately the first week of every month we will have our Volunteer Orientation Week with orientations offered in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. You may attend any one of the orientations; they are not specific to the shelter location.
- Orientations provide an important overview of our organization; give specific information about our volunteer program, training, and additional volunteer requirements and opportunities.
- Applications will be distributed at the orientation session, which you can complete and submit at the orientation or return to the Volunteer Department at any time.
- Please visit our Volunteer Orientations page to sign up for an orientation.
- Space is limited, so only people who have signed up for an orientation will be able to attend. Friends, family members or pets cannot accompany you to the orientations.
2) Volunteer Interview Week
Following Volunteer Orientation Week is Volunteer Interview Week. We will invite interested applicants to participate in a 1 hour group tour and interview at the Care Center in which you would like to volunteer. During the interview we will determine if you are an appropriate fit for our Volunteer Program. We will continue to invite applicants to Volunteer Interview Week for three consecutive months. If you do not come in for an interview within 3 months we will assume you are no longer interested in participating in the program.
3) Webinar Training Week
If you are accepted into our Volunteer Program you will receive instructions via email about how to proceed with the Webinar Training for your chosen volunteer position. A webinar is short for Web-based Seminar, a presentation that is transmitted over the Web. For your convenience the trainings are recorded so you can attend the trainings from the comfort of your home or office. Please check out the position descriptions with required webinars on the Volunteer Opportunities page. You will have one week to complete the webinar training assigned to your volunteer position before moving to the final In-Shelter Training Week. If you have not completed your Webinar Training in time for In-Shelter Training Week you will have to wait for the In-Shelter Training Week during the following month.
4) In-Shelter Training Week
During the In-Shelter Training Week you will participate in a 3 hour hands-on training shift in the Care Center. During this training shift you will apply everything you learned during your Webinar Training Week. Once you have passed your In-Shelter Training you will receive your Volunteer Packet with your volunteer supplies on your first volunteer shift the following week. Your 6 month commitment will begin the week after your In-Shelter Training.
Other Ways to Help
If our Volunteer Program is not the right fit for you there are still many ways to help our pets. Here are just some of the many ways you can get involved:
- Host a donation drive and solicit items from ACC's Wish List.
- Plan a Third-Party Event, where you and your friends/coworkers hold a fundraiser to benefit ACC animals.
- Encourage family, friends, and colleagues to adopt a wonderful new furry friend from ACC’s Care Centers. Sign-up and receive our weekly Adoption Flyer in your inbox. You can share the flyers with your family and friends, for printing and posting with permission and where legally permissible.
For more information and other ways you can help, please check out our website at http://nycacc.org/WaysToHelp.htm.
Thank you for wanting to make a difference in the lives of our animals!